Portfolio: Conservation & Refurbishment: St Ita’s, Portrane
- Portrane, County Dublin
- Project Architect:
- O'Mahony Pike Architects
- Services Engineer :
- James P. McGrath & Associates
Working within a live environment this work consisted of the refurbishment, conversion and fit out of a protected hospital building in order to provide office accommodation at St. Ita’s, Portrane.
The refurbishment works include the internal renovation of the building, the demolition of some internal walls/partitions, an office fit-out, the thermal upgrade of external walls and upgrade of mechanical and electrical services. The works to the windows and doors comprised of a combination of repair and overhaul and a new canopy was provided over the front entrance to the building.
There are a number of existing pitched roofs, flat roofs and valleys over the property, which were overhauled and refurbished, as necessary and in accordance with the report from the Conservation Architect. The associated works included for the replacement of the 3 lowest courses of slates to all pitched roofs, the replacement of a number of flat roofs to the building, removal and replacement of copper lined valleys, re-securing of all loose parapet cappings, refurbishment of all roof lights and the installation of new roof lights.
Units 1, 2 & 3 are contained in a 3 storey Victorian hospital building, which is part of the St. Ita’s Hospital. The building was designed by George Ashlin and was constructed between 1896 and 1903, as part of the original scheme for the hospital. Units 1, 2 & 3 was occupied and utilised as a hospital facility up until approximately 7 – 8 years ago.